Honouring The Legendary Edhi Sahab
Abdul Sattar Edhi was laid to rest on the outskirts of Karachi on Saturday at a state funeral attended by thousands of people. There is no doubt that Edhi Sahib was a true manifestation of love for those who were socially vulnerable, impoverished, helpless and poor. His departure is a great loss.
Mr. Edhi single-handedly set up Edhi Foundation almost 60 years ago, starting with meager resources and then expanding through private donations. Today, it operates nursing homes, orphanages, soup kitchens and family planning centers — all free of charge — as well as Pakistan’s largest ambulance service.
Despite the vast sums of money that passed through this charitable foundation, Edhi lived modestly with his family content with just two sets of clothes, he slept in a windowless room of white tiles adjoining the office of his charitable foundation. Sparsely equipped: it had just one bed, a sink and a hotplate.
Pakistan needs to make sure what Mr Edhi started must be continued and his legacy must be kept alive.
Keeping His legacy Alive
- Naming landmarks like Airport, Roads or even a City after his name will help to remember him for a long time to come
- Declaring National Edhi day which will be celebrated by caring for the poor’ orphans and widows.
- Starting a Award/Prize on His name to honor & encourage Philanthropy and its activists
- Opening a University after him where like any other Edhi Foundation Services, education is free to the less fortunate ones
- Keep contributing to the Edhi Foundation