Eid Breakfast- Vermicelli Kheer|Sevai Kheer Recipe
Vermicelli Kheer also known as Sevai Kheer is often served during festival or any occasion of celebration.
Prep time: 5 Mins, Cook time: 15 Mins, Total time: 20 Mins, Recipe type: Dessert, Serves: 3-4 Small Bowls
Ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
• 1 or 1.5 cups broken vermicelli/sevai,
• 500 ml milk,
• 3 tbsp sugar (add more or less for your preferred sweetness)
• 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
• 4-5 green cardamom pods
• 3-4 cloves/lavang
• 7-8 roasted or fried unsalted almonds, chopped or
• 7-8 roasted or fried cashew nuts, chopped
• 2 tsp raisins or
• any dry fruits of your choice
How To Make The Recipe:
• Heat ghee in a pan.
• Fry the cloves and cardamom till the release their aroma in the ghee.
• Now add the vermicelli/sevai and fry till they become golden brown.
• Pour the milk and let it come to a boil.
• Add sugar and mix well.
• Lower the flame and let the milk simmer for 5-7 minutes till the sevai gets cooked.
• Lastly add chopped almonds or any dry fruits.
• Serve the sevai kheer hot, warm or cold.
• If serving cold, then refrigerate the sevai kheer and then serve later.
Few tips for the recipe:
1. The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
2. Use good quality & fresh milk.
3. The amount of sevai/vermicelli can be decreased or increased. If you add more sevai, the consistency will be much thicker like a thick pudding. You can go for the kheer consistency as per your liking.
4. Dry fruits can be added as per your choice. You can also add some saffron or rose water to the sevai kheer.
5. When cooled the sevai kheer tends to be thick. So if you don’t like thick sevia kheer then don’t thicken the milk. Alternatively you can add some more milk to the sevai kheer.